INSIDE: Wish you loved yourself more? Find it hard to like who you see in the mirror? I’ve been there too. And so, in this post, I’m sharing the positive affirmations for self-love that I use to help me embrace self-love and increase my sense of self-worth so that you can use them too.
(This post might contain affiliate links which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I make a small commission. Read my disclosure policy here.)
What does self-love mean to you?
For me, it means liking the person I see in the mirror. It means loving myself for who I am. Warts and all. It means taking care of my own needs, putting my own happiness first and not settling for less than I know I deserve without feeling guilty about it.
That might sound selfish, but it’s not. After all, how can you love others if you don’t first love yourself? And how can you be satisfied with life and create a life you love if you don’t first love who you are?
The one constant in life…
Over the years, I’ve learned that people come and go. Things change and life doesn’t always go to plan. But no matter what happens, there’s always one constant in my life.
And that’s me.
No matter how fast I run or where I try to hide, I am always stuck with me. And so, if I’m going to be truly happy, I need to love who I am.
And it’s the same for you too.
You might not like everything you see in the mirror. You might wish you were funnier, skinnier, taller, cleverer or smarter. But that doesn’t mean you’re not already amazing just the way you are.
Embracing self-love means giving yourself permission to accept who you are. And when you accept who you are, you think better of your appearance and body image even if there are things you want to change. You like your personality traits and characteristics. And you’re excited about growing and improving every day.
Instead of waiting for ‘someday’, you’re able to start living and enjoying who you are and what you have right now.
Loving yourself more…
So how do you start embracing self-love? What if you really do struggle with who you see in the mirror? And what if you’ve spent so much time not liking who you are that you don’t know where to start with loving yourself more?
If that’s the case, trust me when I say I know exactly how you feel.
For years, I’ve struggled with liking who I am and learning to love myself. I’ve battled with my weight, with a lack of self-confidence and I’m always worrying about what others think. I’m also my own worst critic and have said things to myself that I’d never dream of saying to my worst enemy.
My journey of self-love has definitely been a work in progress. It hasn’t happened overnight. It’s taken a LOT of work. And just when I thought I was finally getting there, that I was finally starting to accept myself for who I am, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and I had to start all over again.
My treatment meant that I lost all of my hair. Including my eyebrows and eyelashes. I was a shadow of my former self and did not recognise the person I saw in the mirror. I had no idea who I was or how to pick myself back up and love myself again. But I knew that I needed to – both for the sake of my boys and myself.
It’s taken the best part of four years, but I can finally say that I finally love who I am – even though I now live with the scars of my surgery, I weigh more than I would like and there are still parts of me that I would like to change. But I’m okay with all of that because I’m still here.
So how did I get there?
How did I pick myself back up and learn to love myself again? One thing that helped me develop a positive mindset and gave me permission to start loving myself was positive affirmations. I would repeat positive affirmations for self-love daily.
Those little words of encouragement made me feel more confident. They reassured me that I was doing okay and that I am enough. They helped me to pick myself back up and start loving myself again.
And they can do the same for you too.
The power of positive affirmations for self-love…
Positive affirmations for self-love serve as a reminder of your gifts and abilities. They’re an awesome tool for reminding yourself just how wonderful you are as a person. They turn your negative thought processes on their head and help you reframe how you think about yourself.
Positive affirmations for self-love are incredibly powerful. And so, if like me, you’re working to love yourself more, I highly recommend giving positive affirmations for self-love a try. Positive affirmations for self-love have helped me to:
- Counteract negative statements.
- See myself as a beautiful person.
- Change unhealthy behaviours and thought processes.
- Modify my thought patterns.
- Increase my confidence.
- Develop a positive outlook.
- Respect and love myself.
And they can totally do the same for you too.
Using positive affirmations for self-love…
When used the right way, positive affirmations for self-love can help you develop a greater sense of self-worth. You’ll feel happier about who you are and find that you have more self-esteem. Your relationships others will be better too because you’re more comfortable with who you are.
So, how do you use them?
For positive affirmations about self-love to work, you have to believe them. There’s no point saying things to yourself that you don’t believe to be true as they won’t have any effect. For example, there’s no point in saying “I’m gorgeous” when you don’t yet believe you are. And so, a better affirmation would be, “I’m becoming more and more beautiful every day.”
When you find positive affirmations for self-love that resonate, write them down. Add them to your planner or journal or add them to a notebook that’s just for affirmations. Repeat them to yourself – preferably out loud – as often as needed but at least a couple of times a day.
Choosing positive affirmations for self-love…
Not sure what positive affirmations for self-love to use? Don’t worry because that’s what this post is about!
Below you’ll find my favourite positive affirmations for self-love. Affirmations that I used when I was recovering from the effects of my chemotherapy. Affirmations for self-love that I still use today, whenever I need to boost my sense of self-worth.
Scroll through this list of positive affirmations for self-love, pick the ones that resonate the most. Or if you prefer, use all of them!
My favourite positive affirmations for self-love…
- #1. I am worthy.
- #2. I am enough.
- #3. I am beautiful inside and out.
- #4. Even my “flaws” have good and helpful aspects.
- #5. I love and approve of myself.
- #6. I am delighted with who I am.
- #7. I fully approve of who I am, even as I better myself.
- #8. I approve of myself and love myself completely.
- #9. I am happy in my own skin and in my own circumstances.
- #10. I am surrounded by love.
- #11. I am treasured for who I really am.
- #12. I am worthy of happiness and love.
- #13. I enjoy my own company as I get in touch with my true self.
- #14. I am at peace and happy when I’m alone.
- #15. I am a kind and unique person with a lot to offer.
- #16. I am loving and lovable.
- #17. I am a loving, kind person who deserves true love.
- #18. Everything about me is lovable and worthy of love.
- #19. I love everything about my body.
- #20. I embrace the rhythm and the flow of my own heart.
- #21. I am filled with excitement when I look in the mirror.
- #22. I appreciate my body’s unique traits.
- #23. I am thankful for the shape of my body.
- #24. My body is beautiful and appealing.
- #25. People find me sexy and desirable.
- #26. My body vibrates with energy and health.
- #27. I appreciate every cell in my body.
- #28. I send love and healing to every organ of my body.
More positive affirmations for self-love…
- #29. I develop the mindset to praise myself.
- #30. I fill my mind with positive, nourishing thoughts.
- #31. I observe my emotions without getting attached to them.
- #32. My body is relaxed, my mind is calm and my soul is at peace.
- #33. I matter and what I have to offer also matters.
- #34. I love unconditionally and without hesitation.
- #35. I am loved and appreciated by those around me.
- #36. I radiate love and others reflect love back to me.
- #37. My friends love me for who I am.
- #38. I have an active sense of humour and love to laugh with others.
- #39. Life is full of love and I find it everywhere I go.
- #40. Love and appreciation follow me everywhere I go.
- #41. I am loved even when people don’t share my dreams.
- #42. I feel good about the direction of my life and being me.
- #43. I am grateful for my life force and energy.
- #44. My calm and relaxed state energizes my whole being.
- #45. I am thankful for the abundance I have in my life.
- #46. Today is the future I created yesterday. Tomorrow will be even better!
- #47. I gain joy, fulfilment, and happiness from this day.
- #48. I trust in my ability to create a fabulous future.
- #49. I am in complete charge of planning for my future.
- #50. I feel calmness and confidence wash over me with every deep breath I take.
- #51. I choose to free myself from all negativity that hampers my progress.
- #52. My world is a peaceful, loving, and joy-filled place to live.
- #53. I am in control of my life.
- #54. I make a conscious choice to be happy.
- #55. I am responsible for my own happiness, so I’ve got this covered.
Increasing self-love with positive affirmations…
Remember, the one constant in life is yourself. And to truly love others, you have to first love yourself. Use these positive affirmations for self-love to help increase your sense of self-worth.
Know that you are good enough just as you are. That it’s okay to be flawed. There will always be room for improvement but the ‘you’ you are right now is already amazing and you are enough.
Don’t forget to pin this post so that you can come back to it later! Be sure to check out my Personal Growth board while you’re there too. Oh, and if you haven’t done so already, make sure you hit the follow button too!
And remember, just like positive affirmations #3 and #35…you are beautiful inside and out and you are loved and appreciated by everyone around you. And that means you’ve got this!
That’s it for this post! Do you do use positive affirmations for self-love? Has this post inspired you to try them? Let me know in the comments!
Until next time…
P.S. Like what you read? Subscribe to A Simple and Contented Life!
Join my community and receive weekly emails packed full of motivation, inspiration and reassurance that you’re not alone on this journey called life. As an added bonus, you’ll gain EXCLUSIVE access to my FREE Resource Library. Inside you’ll find a ton of cheatsheets, checklists, printables and workbooks all designed to help you make life LESS stressful and MORE enjoyable. Simply fill in your details below and I’ll add you to my mailing list!
Did you like this post? You’ll LOVE these too!
- Positive affirmations for stress and anxiety
- Positive affirmations for self-esteem and greater confidence
- 100 self-reflection questions for personal growth